Wednesday 22 August 2007

Apple Ipod - Evolution of a Species

The Apple Ipod. Have you got one? To many, it's the best thing since sliced bread, and definitely to be included in your 'must have' accessories.

And yet I haven't got one. I don't know why - I think they're great, and I think that perhaps I would like one - but I just haven't got around to getting one.

So whilst browsing the internet looking for one, I realised that there are, in fact, more than just one to choose from. In fact since the Ipod was released in 2001, there have been at least 16 variations produced.

So, ladies and gentleman, boys and girls - I present you with The Apple Ipod:

The 1st Generation Apple Ipod, produced from October 2001 until April 2003, was available in white with either 5 or 10Gb capacity.
The 2nd Generation Ipod didn't vary much. It was still only available in White, still available with 5Gb or 10Gb, but was also availalble with a 20Gb harddrive. Yeah, more songs! This was available from March 2002 until April 2003.
Then, in April 2003, and until September 2003, the 3rd Generation was available. Looking better, but still only available in white, the 3rd Gen was now available with a whopping 30Gb harddrive. Nice. Very nice.
In July 2004 (and until June 2005) the Apple Ipod 4th Generation was available. Looking better, and with a 40Gb hard drive, I think that perhaps I would happily accept one of these. But, there are far more to choose from...
The 4th Generation U2 Edition looks fantastic. With a 20Gb harddrive, it was available from October 2004 until June 2005. In black, with a red dial, it looks absolutely amazing. I think I'll have that one.
Wait! February 2005 saw the birth of something truly fascinating: The Ipod Photo. In white, with a 30Gb harddrive. Music and photos? Marvellous!
But check this out: June 2005 made way for the Ipod Colour, with a gigantic 60Gb harddrive. Hmm, have I even got enough songs to fill one of these...???
The Ipod 5th Generation (With Video) made it's first appearance in October of 2005. Available in a fresh white (well who would have guessed?) or fiendish black, it too could be purchased with either a 30Gb or 60Gb harddrive.
The Ipod 5th Generation Advanced was made available from September 2006. This edition was available with an 80Gb harddrive. Hmm, I think that I would have to get one of these... in black...
September 2006 also saw the released of the Ipod 5th Generation U2 Special Edition. Looking much better than the original, I must say...
And let us not forget the Ipod Mini's. Now, I don't really know what to make of these. First made available in January 2004, in five fresh colours, the Ipod Mini had a 4Gb harddrive.
It was improved in February 2005, when the Ipod Mini 2nd Generation was made available with the option of a 6Gb harddrive.
In September 2005, the Ipod Nano 1st Generation was released. Available with a 1, 2, or 4Gb harddrive, it could be purchased in either white or black.
Then came the Ipod Nano 2nd Generation, available in Silver, Green, Blue, Pink or Black. This was available with an 8Gb harddrive.
I really like this. Produced to raise money for Charity, the Ipod Nano Red is available with either a 4Gb or 8Gb harddrive. I think it looks awesome...
In January 2005, the Ipod Shuffle 1st Generation was released. With either a 512Mb or 1Gb harddrive, available in white, I have no idea how it works. I mean, how do you select your tracks? Weird...
Then, as if it couldn't get any stranger, Apple released this: The Ipod Shuffle 2nd Generation, with 1Gb capacity. But when you actually see it in the flesh, you can't help think, "But it's so small!"

After perusing these, and thinking very hard, I think that I will go for the Apple Ipod Video, Black Edition. Plenty of storage, fantastic looks. Now to find a great deal....

Tell me though, which Ipod's have you had? What have you got now? What would YOU recommend?

Cheers!

No comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave a comment. You're visitor number: